In pursuit of compostable
OSC formed the Packaging Collaborative to remove petroleum-based plastics from landfills, oceans and our planet by securing compostable and renewable flexible film structures with appropriate barrier qualities. One of the Packaging Collaborative’s key initiatives is to secure a highly functioning and compostable solution for our heat-sealable/flexible overwrap and pouch applications. This is an Achilles heel in the industry since many of the most sustainably minded companies in the world do not have an environmentally friendly, non-GMO option when it comes to flexible packages.
We believe that the best way to address this significant challenge is to open source our work. Nearly every company is trying to accomplish a similar goal, and by working together, we have the chance to drive an industry shift toward a planet-friendly approach.
Since our first Packaging Collaborative meeting at Expo West 2013, we have continued to make progress on compostable packaging solutions and believe the best way to drive this critically important sustainability initiative is to create an open, collaborative environment. To date we have:
- Created Industry movement of leading brands toward advancing compostable packaging
- Fostered key partnerships across the compostable package supply chain: Associated Labels, Elk Design, Futumura, BioBag, Novamont, etc.
- Developed & tested 4 compostable pouch versions with 18+ ingredients
- Presented certifications guidelines for compostable structures
- Line-tested overwrap applications and optimized structure for triplex teabags
- Advanced Compostable Packaging Advisory Board
- Assisted Launch of Gone4Good (Alter Eco) & Leaf No Trace (Numi Tea) campaigns
- Flexible Packaging Comparative study for climate and end of Life
Our efforts in 2021 will focus on:
- Program Expansion – New brands & new packaging materials, launch Plastics Innovation Page in Q2 of 2021 to support a holistic approach to packaging
- Testing & Learning – Explore viability of emergent materials and their end of life impact through shelf life testing, and launch field testing partnership with the Composter Manufacturing Alliance (CMA) to encourage recovery of compostable CPG packaging
- Develop and Launch a Plastic Free July Campaign – Includes consumer facing tips, brand highlights, and policy and advocacy engagement opportunities
The Packaging Collaborative is sponsored by Elk Packaging. They are helping us both design structures with film manufacturers and research and report on the impact of these structures on the environment and the products they contain. Find out more at www.elkpackaging.com
The Packaging Collaborative is sponsored by Futamura, a global leader in renewable and compostable flexible packaging. NatureFlex™ by Futamura is a sustainable cellulose-based film that offers an environmentally responsible alternative to traditional petroleum-based plastics. Find out more at www.futamuragroup.com
Click here to download an overview of the OSC Packaging Collaborative to learn more including how to become a participating member. For more information or to get involved please contact Alyssa Harding (firstname.lastname@example.org). Annual fees (for new members) to participate range from $2,250 to $4,500 depending on your company’s size.
Redefining Flexible Films Innovation Series
RCD and OSC are proud to announce the completion of the Redefining Flexible Films Summit in 2020, an industry-wide innovation workshop focused on eliminating plastic pollution. Over the course of 9 months we worked through a unique design-thinking process and collaborated remotely, focusing our efforts around the unique technical challenge of flexible film packaging. Our group collectively identified 8 Incubation Projects, covering topics like policy, consumer awareness, financing, design, and labeling to break down the barriers to scaling sustainable material solutions. Interested in the results? Check out the whitepaper here!
Check out the rebroadcast of our Packaging Collaborative webinar, “Where does my packaging go?!”