March 30, 2015 by dev_team
Compostable Packaging Coalition 2015 Internship
OSC2 is a collaboration of sustainable product founders and leaders committed to making a positive impact on our industry, people, and environment. Members include Numi Organic Tea, Alter Eco Foods, Cal Olive Ranch, Guayaki, Nutiva, Happy Family, 18 Rabbits, Big Tree Farms, and many others.
Mission: Address the toughest sustainability problems facing our industry and our planet by building new regenerative business models and agricultural systems
The Compostable Packaging Coalition is our biggest initiative and is sponsored and supported by over 20 brands and partners. This industry movement is having more success than any individual company in solving the very critical issue of unsustainable, landfill plastic pouch and overwrap packaging that is pervasive in the natural products industry.
Goal: Secure non-GMO, home-compostable materials that perform with appropriate moisture/oxygen barriers at a reasonable cost.
The intern will work closely with the OSC2 team of packaging leaders toward our next round of testing of packaging materials and ingredients.
The description of duties is as follows:
- Gather and streamline packaging protection data from member companies
- Using Material specification sheets, assist in determining structures which “match” protection needs
- Finalize 4+ structure variations
- Manage material flows with converter in Canada to ensure timely deliveries to facility in the proper amounts
- Manage lamination timeline/deadline at Canadian converter as well as prelim tests
- Coordinate shipping of finished pouches to packer in Bay area
- Determine and coordinate raw product to be packed and tested
- Build strong communication with Mocon, our testing lab
- Coordinate shipping of packed pouches to lab in SC and or Italy
- Assist in labs keeping deadlines
- Assist in analyzing and summarizing results for OSC2 member group, also make recommendations
- Develop Position Papers on key ingredients/materials that need strong sustainable analysis for safety/toxicity
- Aid in LifeCycle analysis work on packaging structures.
- Attend in person or virtually our periodic update meetings
- If possible, attend first packing of Alter Eco Pouches at Sacramento facility
Qualifications and requirements:
- Clear coursework and preferred prior experience in operations
- Demonstrated interest and work in sustainability
- At least 2 year of prior work experience.
- Excellent communication and follow through skills
- Outstanding project management aptitude
- Good writing and critical thinking skills
- MBA coursework preferred
- Comfort and familiarity with social media platforms
This is a paid internship based on a hourly rate range. The timeframe is somewhat flexible, but generally May 26-Sept. 1. The internship is estimated to take 10-15 hours of work per week. OSC2 is a non profit mutual benefit corporation.
Contact: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.